Monday, January 09, 2006

I am ready for the week

Another drill weekend down... Did you feel safer this weekend? Hope so. We were standing by.

One thing I look forward to every day is the trip to the mailbox.
It makes me feel like a little kid. Today I received a few weird and wonderful things to my surprise.
Wonderful.

  • A gift of yummy coconut lotion from a dear friend that vacationed in Fiji with her boyfriend over the holidays for a week. Yes, I said Fiji, Yes I said a week. No not jealous - but may post a picture from her vacation soon.
  • A note from the Care - an organization I often make small random donations to. Inside this month's cry for help was a pencil (like the one's you use to keep score at the miniature golf courses) with the following note: To take on the Taliban, the US military used 10,000 troops and the most advanced weapons on earth... But girls across Afghanistan defied their oppressors with something much simpler: a pencil. You see, the Taliban had forbidden education for girls. But despite that ban, CARE kept small study going. And ever girl who flocked to them eagerly. When the regime finally crumbled, CARE-support schools filled up in the blink of an eye! Today in Afghanistan, these school help equip more than 23,000 boys and girls with the skills they need to overcome a life of poverty.
    So, with my recent quest to read more and more about the Iraq/Afghanistan area - I guess I will donate. They got me. Come on the girls need schools supplies and money.
  • I have also received my new Republican National Committee card - along with a request for money. I am not certain what benefits I get from this - but I do sometimes taunt my liberal friends that I am card carrying Republican.
  • A great Christmas Card from a dear family friend.
  • A few bills, a bank statement...

But it gets stranger...
I received a note from the state that says I owe them 76.04. With the following note "... On going mission to ensure that all taxpayers report and pay their fair of taxes."

I am hysterically laughing. I pay my fair share, trust me. I guess I will send them a joyful note and a check. But the pure thought of us not paying what we owe - that is funny. (Just as a side note, if you attach any additional notes or letters to your tax returns they have to go in a special file and be hand processed.) Let me tell you, I always write a cheerful note on colorful paper and use a colored paper clip to secure everything. I hope it cheers them up. I think of it as my service to them. That is one job I could not sanely do. God Bless them.

The National Guard has instituted a new recruiting program. I can earn up $2000 per person that joins and completes basic training and individual training and $50.00 just for signing up for the program. I really want to go to Greece and go back to Slovenia. SO, fair warning, if you are in my address book and you are under the age 40 or have children under the age of 40 and you are physically and emotionally stable, I am going to try to recruit you. A good trip to Greece would be about 10,000 - THAT is only 5 people......

Ok off to the grocery, then laundry, dinner, carpets and kitchen floor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home