Thursday, September 14, 2006

Notes from the plane.

When the flight attendant has the beverage cart in the aisle for service, just wait.
The aisle itself is narrow and the cart is only slightly smaller so it can easily be pushed and up down. When you try to squeeze in someone else's space it is annoying. Flight after flight I watch this craziness.
It is amazing that a grown adult cannot just rationalize the behavior. Your surprised look on your face, that you cannot simply just past by is not complimentary. The aisles do not miraculously get in larger after take off.
The woman in front of me luckily has the entire row to herself. That is like getting five across on a BINGO card when only seven numbers have been called. You are very lucky on this ten hour flight. But did you have to recline all of the seats back? Not just recline, thrust them to rear as if you need to take control of three dirty old and overly used chairs.
The gentleman next to me seemed like he was remorseful for leaving Argentina. He held a picture of him and his young lover. She had written him a note on a scrap of paper with the declaration, "I Love you, Darling." He actually kissed the photograph before he placed it back into his back pack. My curiosity wants to know the story, wants to hear the passion, but we nod, smile and fitfully try to rest.
I brought along the Island of the Blue Dolphins to read. It is a young adult book, but it was small and light weight, I had never read it but, as the first American Hans Christian Anderson award winner and usually required reading for middle schoolers, I figured it would be a good option. It was good, easy to read and soft story of live, love, loss and triumph.
I have also been reading Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. He is the pastor of a large church in Grand Rapids, MI. Two days ago I was reading Buenos Aires newspaper and saw a brief snippet that there is a MarsHIll Church in the city (an extension of his church) Next time I will have to do further investigation. Find out how close it is to the hotel, who knows maybe even find out a local need. I know it was not a coincidence that I found the two connections. Hopefully, a story for later.
We are debating about the logistics for Thanksgiving. My daughter has the entire week off from school. We are going to Michigan to celebrate and visit with family. I think she may travel out there early. She could start baking with her Aunt Mary, visit with old friends and help with Abby. I need to get busy on the details, the time will go fast.
The best news is that I am making progress on the Christmas list. A few purchases here and there are beginning to accumulate a nice pile. I am trying to be conscientious once again this year. I am staying away from Wal-Mart and looking closely where products are manufactured. Tuesday Morning is one of my favorite places to shop. I found a few nice ornaments from Poland and a few pieces of inexpensive crystal from Germany. This year I am going to craft all of Christmas Cards, or at least a decent portion of them. I have been running a few ideas through my head. When the leaves begin to turn I want to take a few pictures of the Aspens and gather a few leaves in hopes to come up with a creative look. By no means is it the quality of some of the scrappers on the web, but the love will be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home