Friday, October 27, 2006

Dinner conversations

Wednesday we left the office well after 6 and decided to continue our work conversation over dinner in the restaurant at the hotel.
I agree. Run up to my room, switch to yoga pants and sweatshirt and meet the other three in my party down stairs. No one else had changed, but that is me. If I could wear pajama/yoga pants everyday, I would.
We order dinner and have great conversation.

The conversation switches gears to the subject of young people taking stands for what they believe in. (There was an article in the USA Today) I am nodding and listening. Woman A explains that her daughter had caused a big stink about the brother wanting to buy stock from a company that was supporting the war (they make detonators or something). She felt that the brother should not be connected to the war in any shape or form and gave him an earful. You can tell from her non verbal cues she does not support the war. I say nothing. Just nod and listen.

Then they begin to talk about the town where I live and the mixture of people that reside there. She mentions that there are several large Christian based non profit organizations and the mixture of elite Air Force bases, regular Air Force bases and the lowly Army. She notes that it is a very peculiar town. I say nothing. She proceeds to describe that the Army area can be a little seedy… The other lady at the table that I know fairly well is trying to divert the conversation to a different direction before Woman A sticks her foot in her mouth.

She says now Deb, ‘You are in the Reserves, correct” I quickly confirm that yes, I am in the Army National Guard. She proceeds to tell them that her father was a veteran as well. Conversation halts immediately. Topic quickly changes at the table and no further mention of the military or war. Both my friend and I have been deeply touched by the war. Her nephew was killed in Iraq over a year ago.

I serve my country and I am proud.

The breadth of this war is simply amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home