Thursday, November 29, 2007

AWTM's/ post today had me thinking, thinking hard.

My daughter was in the second grade at the same elementary school I attended. It was Christmas and all students were participating in a Christmas program and sing along.
We were all sitting together; Grandpa, grandma, me and her daddy. My mom at this point was in the full throws of battling lung cancer and fighting for her life taking chemo and radiation.
The kids did a great job. Then mid way through the program a young boy came out in an Military uniform and sang, "I Will be Home for Christmas." My mom cried. I remember looking over at her and just watching her cry.
We had that Christmas together, but that would be the last. I would do any thing to just be there in that place one more time, but that is gone. I never asked her why she was crying, you just assume it was the image of a soldier doing his best to be home, but maybe it was something deeper and with more clarity for her.

My mom of course died years before September 11th, she would have been so upset. I am glad she missed it. All of our lives have changed so much since that season. We just keep pressing forward, making the best and doing what we think is right. Each time I hear the Christmas song, it just pings my heart.
Christmas in general just pulls at me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

I have had a tough month. Like I said bitter sweet indeed. I am sorry you lost your Mother too. Cancer is tough stuff. I hope you have a Merry Christmas, and please know I will say an extra prayer for you all tonight.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sis,

like you I have had some reflections of time and during this time of the year am bitter sweet. I am saddened that Mom never got to meet Holli or Abigayle but find comfort knowing that she is with God.

Love,

D

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mommy, that song makes me try up to. i love you!
chelsea

Monday, December 03, 2007 10:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home