Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Am I collecting or hoarding?
I am not 100% sure. But every few years I yearn to have more of a few specific collections. I am in that mode.
We collect GI Joes - but I always want to buy them cheap. I do not want to buy the $100 Kung Fu grip Joe on ebay, I want to run across the action adventure hero randomly and snatch it up as if others are on my heals trying to snag it up before I do. I have not bought one in awhile, but I did find a few in the Salvation Army "collectible" case. Every Tuesday is military 50% off day. I called and the lady I spoke with said that my discount would apply to the things in the special case but did not apply on jewelry and Christmas items. Hmm... I was thinking I could clear out the entire case for a mere pittance and then randomly sell or hoard the things on ebay. It is a win-win right? Probably not, if I have to ask.
Of course you know about the fascination with Little Golden Books. This week I stumbled on another imprint during the mid 1900s called "Better Little Books". Yeah, I want all those too.
I also like things that remind me remotely of my young child hood - these things do not include cancer, Foreigner records or the uncomfortable feeling of being out of place in elementary education (Speech therapy or Cachetism class).
I "won" two Romper room books on ebay this week for a mere 99 cents. Of course with the shipping, it makes each one just under $5.
I do not on purpose factor the shipping in on the bargain, this primarily for my own self satisfaction.

Of course the kitchen is the easiest and most random place to collect. Bowls, pottery, jars, shakers and pots are all random at my house. Of course deep down I wish I had a kitchen that mirrored my sister in laws with Le Creuset cookware, Calphalon pans www.calphalon.com, expanding knife sets and Ikea laden drawers. I have bits and pieces. I have my fair share of Polish Pottery, Princess House, Pampered Chef and Longaberger pottery but the complete sets are missing from each collection. Of yes, I forgot that I like crystal made in either in the US or Europe. Yes, I am crystal snob. Crystal made in the China is not authorized. I might have a piece tucked here or there, but not intentional.
I like vintage Winnie the pooh and have two enormous boxes that I collected in the mid 1990's when we went every weekend with my parents flea marketing. My daughter was a shopper back in the days of stroller riding. She went with my mom and shopped. My mom loved anything from the kitchen and old books and papers (yes, I learned from the best). She had hoped that they would retire and open an antique store. Cancer won. Now my Grandpa Ray has a house full of oddly feminine collectibles "kitchenana". Maybe he will open the ebay business and then I will impulsively out bid everyone knowing that these items were hand picked by mom. maybe.

What got me started on this post this morning.... stephanie klein read here.

enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home