Wednesday, March 01, 2006

hawaii... sigh



My friend is planning a trip to Oahu in a few weeks.
I have to admit I had twinge of jealousy take over me, just for a second.
We lived in Hawaii our first 3 years of married life. My daughter was born there. I ended active duty and began my National Guard career. Out of SHEER luck my brother was stationed at Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station.
What luck brother and sister stationed together - Army - Marine. He would bring his single friends over to eat and relax at our house.

We met incredible friends. I fell in the love with the people and fell in love with the food and culture. I guess you could say part of heart is with people I got to know in Hawaii.
We were ready to move, but going from Schofield Barracks to Hinesville, GA was just about all one could take in the early 1990’s. For months I was home sick for Oahu. (and I am originally from the Midwest!)
She asked me to put together a quick list of things to do and explore.

So, here are the top 15 things I would do on Oahu.


1. Haliewa, North Shore. Eat at Jameson’s. Walk around the shops. Drive up the road to beach. Visit Wyland’s Gallery. Eat shaved ice.
2. Dole Plantation Tour, It is Cheesy, It is a tourist trap – but it is fun!
3. Visit the The Contemporary Musuem, Honolulu
4. Visit the Honolulu Zoo, We took my daughter here a lot. It is simple and small, but fun.
5. Visit Hickam AFB and The Pearl Harbor Nave Exchange
6. Ala Moana Mall. SHOPPING
7. Turtle Bay Hilton on the North Shore
8. Pearl Harbor Memorial
9. International Marketplace (tourtist trap - but very interesting!)
10. China Town – Dim Sum!
11. Asian Bakeries
12. More Shave Ice....
13. Sunset Beach
14. Thai food at this place in Pearl City - I cannot remember the name!
15. Visit with old friends
16. Plate lunches, bento boxes and mac salad.
17. Thai Iced Coffee
18. Drink Strawberry Liloki Hawaiian Sun Juice

ok -- narrowing the list is not easy... beaches, sun, walking, hiking, visting, laughing and eating all sound great in Hawaii. Just breathing... and relaxing.

Have fun dear friends.. enjoy.

We are planning a family trip next year to celebrate our daughters 16th birthday. She was born in the pink hospital! Alot can change in a year, I will keep good thoughts.

2 Comments:

Blogger nicole said...

Oh man...and my husband and I have been discussing Hawaii and a possible option after he finished the Captain's career course...we differ on opinions. I want him to read this post! :) I'm for Hawaii all the way!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 9:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like Deb we lived there 4 years of our married life which will reach 25 years this year. So, we are planning a trip back, left in 1992, to see how things have changed. We stayed at the Hale Koa in 1983 on our honeymoon not knowing we would actually live in Hawaii 1988-1992. My husband's collegues often accused him of having a sugar daddy in the Army because he had 2 tours there, 1975-1979, 1988-1992. It just works out sometimes you get what you ask for which was his case. Hey but after that 2nd Hawaii tour he had to pay his dues with 2 yrs in the Pentagon.

I agree with you Deb, Hawaii was a great place to live especailly when your children are young, we arrived with 2 children, 2 and 3 years old. And left with 3 children, adding one in 1990, fortunately I escaped the big pink castle on the hill and had mine in Wahiawa General Hospital, thank you Champus!!

10 Places we hope to return to and see!
1. Pizza Bob's on the North Shore
2. Compadre's Mexican Bar & Grill Restuarant in Ward Centre Honolulu
3. My husband always teases he wants to go back to Mama's Kitchen in Pearl City, it was a little dive of a Mexican Restuarant probably the worst i have ever been too, but i guess has a young 2ndLT in the Army he and his buddies loved the place (I hope it is gone)
4. Aloha Stadium - i loved the flea markets
5. Hale Koa - after all that is where we spent our wedding night.
6. Hanauma Bay - breathtaking views!
7. Our old home in Mililani, HI see what it is worth, we sold it for $250k in 1992.
8. Our old parish, St. John's in Mililani
9. Kanehoe Bay
10. Wo Fat - Hawaii's oldest restaurant - in Chinatown - they make great Mai Tai's

And i know there are many more memories waiting to be visited.

Aloha!!! I will keep you posted on my new Hawaii adventure this year, thanks to you I will be able to go!!

Thursday, January 31, 2008 7:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home