Saturday, February 03, 2007

damn

I cried in formation.
A gentleman was awarded the Legion of Merit today during his retirement ceremony. He proudly served our county for 37 years.
He had many guests in attendance to view the ceremony. First of all, his mother. Yes, I am not certain of her age. But she was radiant and proud of her son.
He had his current wife and his first wife present. He commended his mother for her support. And thanked her for dropping him off at the MEPS station 37 years ago.
He commended his first wife that stood by him the first fifteen years of his career.

He commended his current wife and children.
He was choked up when he spoke and wore the uniform with pride. After the command fall out, I wiped away my tears and began to walk away. A smart ass guy in front of me mimicked me wiping my tears. I politely turned around and said, “The thing is no matter how many years I serve my country, my mother will never see the ceremony.” I turned and wiped a few more tears and pulled myself together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home