Monday, February 19, 2007

Humbled.
Last week I received a call on my cell.

I almost did not answer - I was on a con call using my headset in my office.

The number looked familiar - so I grabbed it.

Hello, this is SFC S... Remember when you turned in your 4100 and you were commenting that your chances of getting promoted in the state were very slim? (I am chemical soldier in a state with no chemical companies and very few e7 slots.)

I said "yes".

She continued, "Well, I sent you a note to your ako, but I wanted to call you and offer you a promotion at the Brigade."

I said "really?".

She explained, "Yes, if you accept your date of rank will be tomorrow and your last drill will be with us in March."

I said, "I accept". (I immediately have a huge lump in my throat.)

I know for the most part the systems appear to be broken. But, sometimes they work. I have worked hard and I have attended schools and I have learned as much as possible. I have not been to Iraq or Afghanistan, I am "slick-sleeve" soldier. I had thought I would retire in my current slot with my current rank. I am very sad to leave my current section, we work very well together, but I guess it is time to go work well with others.

Just last drill I receieved my ACUs (the boots I ordered did not fit - So, I cannot wear themyet.) and very soon I will press forward and dive into a new uniform and new job.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

Great news for you! Congratulations on your promotion!

Monday, February 19, 2007 8:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's awesome! Congratulations! You must feel great...

Friday, February 23, 2007 9:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home