Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Am I really a hard person to buy for…

On Sunday were visiting my in-laws and they were asking me what I would like this week for my birthday. I have pretty firm feeling on this topic, if you do not know what to get me without asking, than it is best not to get me anything at all. She told me I was the hardest person to buy for. I was stunned. My daughter even laughed and said “wool” grandma, anything wool will do. (Yes, wool socks, wool sweaters and wool blankets are all top notch gifts in my book) Seriously, my life is pretty much an open book. Anything to do with books is always a good choice. I have dozens of candles throughout the house and I burn them daily. I love fresh fruit; nothing puts a smile on face faster than fresh berries. I garden and have dozens of herb plants. I wear the same style of clothes regardless of the latest fashion trends. I love food, food is always good. Any polish pottery item is always fun and Longaberger is a solid choice as well. I love classic pooh, quality books and journals, fresh cut flowers and sparkling water.
She asked me if I wanted knick-knacks. Ok. No, I do not want knick-knacks, our basement is filled with them and our inn tables house a robust collection as well.
I am trying to limit these items for when we travel. Little momento's from places we have visited.
I just smiled and my daughter said anything from the Korean store is fine grandma. I have been thinking about this all week. Have I put off these negative vibes that I cannot be pleased with presents? I want small inexpensive meaningful acts of kindness, not last minutes indulgences. Seriously, I do not need anything. Just simple conversations and meaningful laughter is enough.

I invited friends to go to dinner on Saturday night. We rarely go out to eat with them and it is normally just the two guys hanging out. I was looking forward to just catching up and enjoying fun conversation. She said she would call us back this week and let us know. Last night, the husband said that I should not ask other people to go to this moderately-expensive restaurant with us, that it was rude. He asked if I intended on buying for everyone. She knew exactly which restaurant I was talking about and it sounded like they had gone there before. I think I have the right to decide which restaurant I want to go to dinner for my birthday. I did not invite scores of people that would feel uncomfortable with the menu prices. I think I will officially name this “guilt” week – but for the record I am not interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home