Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Sometimes I leave for work with a heavy heart.
Our oldest lab has trouble getting up.
The dogs are supposed to be in the garage while we are at work.
There is a nice comfy dog bed, water and food. It is safe and out of the weather.
But there are days I just cannot force him out there. He looks at me with his big brown eyes and whimpers a bit when I nudge him.
His muzzle and paws are grey now and he spends most of the day sleeping.
He is an old man now.
I keep telling him to stay strong for me.
I make homemade peanut butter biscuits and an occasional peanut butter sandwich to make sure he gets the extra protein.
He growled at me on Monday when I tried to make go in the garage. He gave me the look… I cannot go out there today, I am too tired.
I left for work looking over my shoulder making sure he was still watching me.
The last two mornings I have been working from home to accommodate early conference calls.
He is pleased. He rests and then changes and positions and rests some more.
We do not know how old he is; we rescued him from the pound in Feb 1999.
He was maybe 3-5 years when we picked him up, so we live with the unknown.
How much time does he have………..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home