Thursday, January 31, 2008

reading

I finished reading Ten Points. by Bill Strickland
I actually picked up the book before Christmas from the library and I kept shuffling it to the bottom of the pile.
I know that I was interested in reading the book, but I kept moving it down. But when I sat down and started reading I discovered it was really good. It gives you insight about his abuse by his father, his struggles and his family.

Small Excerpt -

one

She was shimmying around on the toilet there in her bathroom, my daughter, and swinging her feet against me as I sat on the floor, still sweaty in my cycling clothes. I was propped back on my arms, my legs stretched out in front of me, and as Natalie said, “Hold me,” she ticked her feet against the left side of my chest twice.

She’d already gotten dressed for pre-K, in a red sweater and, crumpled around her feet, kitten underpants and blue jeans with flowers embroidered on the cuffs. Nat has Beth’s nose and lips and cheeks and ears, and also my wife’s way of setting her face whether in joy or sorrow. Her blue eyes are hers alone, but there’s something of me in them -- not the color or shape, but a thing that dances in and out of sight. It flitted between us now.

“Dadda, hold me,” she said, as her feet whapped me twice more. Under the black spandex streaked with snot and smears of the banana that had been my rolling breakfast, my leg muscles squirmed like something trapped inside me. My rib cage registered two more thumps.

Natalie’s caramel-blonde hair, curled in where it ended along the lines of her chin, swayed in time with her legs. I sat up and leaned toward her and put my hands on her shoulders, then back and down, across the pointy angles of her shoulder blades, so sharp on her they always seemed to me like wings about to bud. She lay her head against me.

This ritual was a remnant from potty training, when Natalie read more


I loved this post Eight benefits of reading memoirs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home