Friday, September 01, 2006

Labor Day Weekend.
My daughter escaped to rural Kansas to go visit her friend’s grandma.
I got the call this afternoon that we are having a house guest for the weekend.
My husband went to Afghanistan with a bunch of young kids; he and a couple of others were the token older guys that took care of them.
He left with only one and brought back a few sons.

Schweitz really liked him. He came back a little crazy and always with constant adrenaline. Just like the rest of them. During his demob phase he got into a horrible car accident and spent over 30 days in the hospital. I spent a lot of time in ICU and with his family because the guys just could not. This caused a bunch of “crap” for lack of a better word in our home. There was a lot guilt that everyone carried, but what happened, happened.

So, the National Guard did not take the best of care for him and he has been just wandering for about three years now. He is back on orders (after a long and difficult time) and assigned to a medical hold company five minutes away. I expect to see a lot of him, they told him his surgery and recovery may take up to six months. This situation is crazy. I get frustrated that the “we” (I say we as in the military) did not take better care of him.
I made up a bed for him on the futon and laid out the husbands extra pajama pants….

All I can do is love on him while he is here and hope everyone heals more in the process.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

we have had similar problems here...3 suicides, etc...a couple of people out on PTSD 100%...

Friday, September 01, 2006 10:34:00 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Thank you for doing your best to tie up loose ends where our veterans' health and wellbeing are concerned.

My cousin and I (he's former military) were just discussing this at dinner last night.

Let me know if I can help at all.

Sunday, September 03, 2006 9:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home