Monday, May 08, 2006

letter writer, risk taker

I wrote a letter on Friday that I have been writing mentally in my mind for years. I am going to XXX out a few details to protect the innocent and the not so innocent. I understand that there is good and bad in almost every organization – they are ran by people and that’s a fact.
I am not perfect, never claimed to be perfect. I am not sure, if I will receive a response, or if I will even like the response. But I really feel so much better just by sending it.
So, here it is…….

Dear Sir and fellow Veterans
I have been meaning to send this letter for several years. I have written it repeatedly in my head, always claiming that I have had the last straw.
Well last night, was the night.
I live in XXXX. Both my husband and I are veterans. My husband frequents the VFW XXXX. In 2003, when he returned from OEF, many of the soldiers would gather, talk about the times “down range” and mend their brokenness with beer and good times.

The VFW is a great place where soldiers can connect. However, the XXXX VFW is probably the epitome of Veterans organizations. You would think that an organization located in a town with five military installations would be busy serving the community and its retirees. Sadly, VFW XXXXX does very little to help veterans and actually creates an enabling environment. Over the last four years, there has been countless DUIs, increasing alcoholism, drug abuse, bad-checks, gambling, and extra-martial affairs all associated with the post. There have been several instances of members stealing from this post. It seems as if the people cannot separate themselves from running the canteen “bar” operation and providing a classy non-profit organization that helps veterans.

Last night a fight broke out within the canteen and six police cars were parked in front of the post. One can only imagine how many times this happens per year.

It is a disgrace for veterans and a black eye to an organization that is known for sticking up for and improving the quality of life for veterans. I have watched vets come into the post and spend their last few dollars on alcohol. I have watched veterans leave totally inebriated, get in their cars and drive home. The administration and staff overlook with a blind eye at these atrocities.

This grossly negligent operation needs to be looked into. People need to held accountable for their actions and become accountable to the community.
Your National Mission Statement reads, “Its mission is to "honor the dead by helping the living" through veterans' service, community service, national security and a strong national defense.”
This particular post does not honor the mission statement and is an eye-sore for your organization. It is hurting veterans, hurting families and our town.

I have copied Senator NAME, Mayor NAME

Thank You for your time,
XXXXXXXXX my name

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home