My friend is planning a trip to Oahu in a few weeks.
I have to admit I had twinge of jealousy take over me, just for a second.
We lived in Hawaii our first 3 years of married life. My daughter was born there. I ended active duty and began my National Guard career. Out of SHEER luck my brother was stationed at Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station.
What luck brother and sister stationed together - Army - Marine. He would bring his single friends over to eat and relax at our house.
We met incredible friends. I fell in the love with the people and fell in love with the food and culture. I guess you could say part of heart is with people I got to know in Hawaii.
We were ready to move, but going from Schofield Barracks to Hinesville, GA was just about all one could take in the early 1990’s. For months I was home sick for Oahu. (and I am originally from the Midwest!)
She asked me to put together a quick list of things to do and explore.
So, here are the top 15 things I would do on Oahu.
1. Haliewa, North Shore. Eat at Jameson’s.
Walk around the shops. Drive up the road to beach. Visit Wyland’s Gallery. Eat shaved ice.
2. Dole Plantation Tour, It is Cheesy, It is a tourist trap – but it is fun!
3. Visit the The Contemporary Musuem,
4. Visit the Honolulu Zoo, We took my daughter here a lot. It is simple and small, but fun.
5. Visit Hickam AFB and The Pearl Harbor Nave Exchange
6. Ala Moana Mall. SHOPPING
7. Turtle Bay Hilton on the North Shore
8. Pearl Harbor Memorial
9. International Marketplace (tourtist trap - but very interesting!)
10. China Town – Dim Sum!
11. Asian Bakeries
12. More Shave Ice....
13. Sunset Beach
14. Thai food at this place in Pearl City - I cannot remember the name!
15. Visit with old friends
16. Plate lunches, bento boxes and mac salad.
17. Thai Iced Coffee
18. Drink Strawberry Liloki Hawaiian Sun Juice
ok -- narrowing the list is not easy... beaches, sun, walking, hiking, visting, laughing and eating all sound great in Hawaii. Just breathing... and relaxing.
Have fun dear friends.. enjoy.
We are planning a family trip next year to celebrate our daughters 16th birthday. She was born in the pink hospital! Alot can change in a year, I will keep good thoughts.